Developer’s CDM breach left worker paralysed

A property developer has been fined £10,000 after an incident at a property conversion in St Albans left an electrician paralysed.

Overview

Sukhdev Kundi was working on a stepladder on the first floor of the property when the incident happened on 30/05/12.

He fell off a ladder through an opening, breaking his spine in three places. This resulted in being paralysed from the chest down. Three years later in May 2015 he died, with the cause of death being respiratory failure due to a collapsed lung and pneumonia alongside his spinal injuries and paraplegia.

Prosecution

Meadows WR pleaded guilty to breaching reg 22(1) of the Construction (Design Management) Regulations 2007, and were fined £10,000 and ordered to pay costs of the same amount.

The prosecution follows a related hearing at which a jury unanimously acquitted Luton builder Samuel Harrington of a charge of failing to ensure the safety of tradesmen carrying out work at the property conversion.

Read the full article from IOSH Magazine